Re: WG6100 HV problems and a deadly deflection board

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 20:17:58 EDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:41:13 -0400, you wrote:

>Do you guys have any recommendations on where to start with the HV units?
>Could the crackle/arcing on HV#2 be caused by problems on the deflection
>board? I don't recall hearing arcing on HV#1 while it was working but
>perhaps it did while unattended.

        Actually, first thing I'd check *would* be the deflection board.
Specifically, take a look at those .156" Molex connectors that the
deflection transistors and HV unit plug into -- in my experience, they have
an annoying habit of developing cracked solder joints, which can wreak all
kinds of havoc. (They're especially insidious because the problems are
often intermittent, and it's often very difficult to actually *see* an arc
jumping the gap across the solder-joint crack unless you're looking
directly at it when it happens.)

        Then, inspect the solder joints on the bottom of the HV-cage boards, as
well -- especially around anything heavy, like the HV transformer; here,
too, you can get cracked solder joints that will cause you no end of
trouble.

        (On a side note, you may want to consider putting a cooling fan in the
back of the cabinet to blow air across the monitor boards if you plan to
make a habit of leaving the machine running for extended periods.)
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)