TECH: Help with collection of dead Tempest PCBs

From: Doug Hill <doug_at_grouplogic.com>
Date: Sun Jul 15 2007 - 23:47:42 EDT

Hello gang.

I have a tangential question for the vector list but I'm hoping you'll humor me. In restoring two Tempest games over the last year I now have a collection of Tempest PCBs that basically don't work. With the help of this list [and all the past posts] I now have two solid WG6100s to which I can attach these dead boards but I am at a loss as to where to start with the repairs on the game boards.

When hooked up into one of the working cabinets most are just dead [no flashing start buttons, test switch does nothing, and obviously spot killer is on]. As far as I can tell the boards look complete [when compared to my two working board sets] and I have done the usual examination of the interconnect cable and the connectors on both PCBs.

I've googled around quite a bit and almost all of the information online assumes the game PCBs are working and the WG6100 is the culprit - I now have the opposite situation. Is there any recommended reading as to where to start with these boards or do any of you guys have some places I should start?

Thanks for any tips you may have and again my apologies for the slightly off-topic question...

-doug