Re: Convergence Guru's Tips Needed

From: Matthew Rossiter <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 15:28:03 EDT

I recommend going out and buying a mirror, some rubber wedges, and some
magnetic shunts. I have a document here
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/atari/star_wars_tube.txt - which might be a
little outdated now as far as ordering the parts.

The first thing you need to do, before getting into convergence, is make
sure the colors are all clean and even. Sometimes if the yoke isn't on
quite right, you get spots where the colors fade out. Red turns into
purple for example. That's where the rubber wedges come in handy. Star
Wars has great test patterns because there are some raster-like patterns
for getting the purity right. The next step is to put the convergence
rings on the right spot of the tube neck where it looks the best. When you
are trying to line up the grid patterns, it's nearly impossible (for me
anyway) to get it just perfect without the help of those magnetic shunts
and a mirror. When I'm done with all the grid patterns, I then look at the
actual game because that's really what counts the most. The corners of the
screen are usually the hardest to get dead on. Especially with the the
Scores and other numbers. Oh, and try not to shock yourself.

Matt