Lunar Lander ROM & board strangeness

From: Joe Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 22:22:05 EST

Messing around with some Lunar Lander boards. I've got one revision -01
board, and one revision -02 board. When I look at MAME, they have 2
ROMsets, both having 6 ROMs. Set 2 uses 3 of the same ROMs from set 1, and
3 changed ROMs.

My revision -01 board has sockets for 6 ROMs. My revision -02 board has
sockets for only 5 ROMs. What gives?

Also, my revision -01 board is working, but there are only 4 ROMs populated.
Again, what gives?

Lastly, from reading the archives, it sounds like I can use 2716 (non-TI)
EPROMs in place of the stock PROMs (or are they masked ROMs, or what's the
difference?). If anyone disagrees that 2716's are okay, please describe
why.

So, anyone have any ideas why an -02 board only has 5 ROM locations, and why
my -01 board is working with only 4 ROMs? At least the working with 4 ROMs
might explain why the -02 board doesn't have 6 ROM locations, it doesn't
need them!

Thanks,

Joe