Re: Omega Race - help!

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 23:32:04 EST

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:13:47 -0600, "Lewis D'Aubin" <ldaubin@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>OK, I've started replacing all electrolytic caps that I have matching
>values for, and I guess I'll have to call Bob Roberts for the rest. The
>X and Y deflection have settled down somewhat, and I'm not getting
>random bad draws anymore.
>
>But the display still seems a bit dotty - Literally - I peered closely
>at the image and noticed that the deflection wasn't ripply at all; but
>the intensity of the line is! It's like the beam is constantly
>fluctuating in brightness, producing a granular appearance on what
>should be a straight plot. It's especially apparent on dimmer lines.

Omega Race used a Digital Vector Generator, there's going to be stair stepping
on any line that is not vertical or horizontal (depending upon other timing
issues, you may see dots on horizontal and vertical lines as well). The sharper
the focus, the more noticeable this will be. Dimmer lines are usually sharper in
focus than brighter ones.

Make sure you're not trying to fix something that isn't broken.

You can do with the arcades did, defocus it a bit and all the little dots will
go away! ;-)

-Zonn