B&W HV cages...regulation failing...

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 02:51:02 EST

OK, I've got a couple of WG HV cages for Asteroids and both are croaking
when warm.

What appears to happen is the HV diode is getting hot just sitting on
the bench, but not connected to anything other than the HV lead! Ihave
replaced the HV lead with another from another flyback (colour) and the
diode still heats up.

Have cleaned the wire, and support post, yet somewhere there is a
current leak. Have insulated the wire with a silicone collar where it
goes through the metal cage (and the plastic bit there).

Now, if I remove the outside half of the HV wiring - from the positive
end of the HV diode - and simply cap the diode with a plastic pen cap,
then the voltage regulation is stable, and the diode stays cool - as
expected.

However if I then put the HV wire back on the diode (carefully replaced
insulators of course!) the sucker gets hot and the HV regulation fails
(voltage drops). Note that the anode cap is sitting inside a very clean,
insulated ceramic mug for isolation and safety (mine!).

Very curious! Will continue working on it in the next day or two and
report my findings - but this seems to have a bearing on why some cages
just seem to die and yet, may be good if the cause of the leakage is
found...

John :-#(#

                 www.flippers.com