Re: Cinematronics CCPU on Xilinx FPGA

From: Ed Henciak <ehenciak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 00:24:28 EDT

Actually, it'd fit comfortably in a dirt cheap Spartan 3e (tiniest one)
with room to spare :-)! I was
thinking about using the left over gates for an embedded CPU to drive a
kick ass menu system
for the CCPU.

I sent Zonn most of my code a while back...I've been trying to find time
to finish this off once and
for all. Quite honestly, if someone can help me with verification, I
think we all can have a nice
VHDL model of the CCPU :-)! I basically have coding finished (I need to
add the vector draw routines),
but I still want to make a solid testbench to verify the hell out of
this thing. A while back I put the Atari 2600
into an FPGA using that Opencores 6502...it's sheer joy to
cycle-for-cycle debug a flaky 6502 core :-)!
I think we can do some neat tricks with Zonn's emulator and a VHDL
simulation though.

One of the smaller Actel parts might be able to fit the CCPU as
well....I can run it thru Synplify in a minute here
to get a gate count...nice thing about them is that they run from a
single 3.3V source if I am not mistaken.
Also, you can do neat tricks like run the XY outputs to a single DAC
with dual outputs. I would need help with
the amplification part (I know there are analog gurus on this list that
can make the "perfect, clean" vector driver :-) ).

My problem is that I have some slave driving boss right now whipping my
poor soul senseless to get some PLDs
done for one of his silly projects + 2 image processing FPGAs on my
plate ;-)! But the PLDs are just killing me....and
the person in charge of them is so mean and vicious + has some sick LCD

Ed

PS If people are *really* interested, I will post what I have here on
Vectorlist...I just don't know the protocol
for posting these kinds of things :-)! But I'd LOVE to see this project
completed. It's just two text files of
VHDL source. I don't have a webpage or anything...but I'd prefer to
keep it amongst us vectorheads for the
time being :-)!