RE: "Clay Cowgill's" pincushion corrector

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 20:39:39 EDT

> Has anyone uses this: http://www.multigame.com/display.html
> on his SW ?

I do. ;-)

> It clearly is a "rip off" of the pincushion control circuit
> of Tempest as it also uses the MP1495. (and it's described in
> Jed Margolin's XY docs).

Yeah, it's pretty close. I was actually working from the Major
Havok->Tempest adapter as a starting point. I did add an adjustable amount
of "correction" by a pot and some LEDs to monitor the power rails, but it's
95% the same as the Major Havok->Tempest corrector board if I recall
correctly.

> My SW has a pretty bad pincushion problem (much like the
> first picture on that link, but I think it's even worse).

Man... Those pictures were pretty bad weren't they? ;-) Ahh, the days
before digital cameras! (Those were shot on a disposable film camera and
scanned on a flat-bed scanner at work and then processed in Photoshop to get
some contrast and color back in!)

> I think it should be easy enough to build something like this myself ?

Sure. Finding the MC1495's can be a little expensive (they're like ~$10/ea
in singles here in the US).

Zonn had a new implementation on the ZVG that used a transconductance amp
(if I recall correctly) instead of the MC1495's. Since I bought 1000 of the
1495's back in the day I just keep using 'em. They work. ;-) The
implementation on the ZVG was cool though. I never tried it, personally.

I did a "revision 4" PCB layout of the display corrector last summer because
I still get occasional requests for them (I can't remember if I ever ordered
boards or not though-- I did a short run of the old Tempest Multigame kits
instead and ran out of time for fun projects for the year.) I got the
design down to about the size of an LV-2000 (about 2" x 1") while keeping
0805 resistors and single-sided parts (and the kind-of big potentiometers).

-Clay