Re: Amplifone cap question

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 19:11:49 EDT

What Bob provided would be the better solution. The higher value (in
this application) doesn't cause any problems. The object here is: 1)
increase the ripple current capacity of the part which makes it run
cooler and last much longer, & 2) a larger (physically) part will have
more surface area which provides better cooling.

The higher voltage replacement (NOT in the Bob Roberts kit) only
provides benefit 2. Back in the Wells-Gardner days of vector monitors
we were forever losing the two main electrolytics in the HV supply. I
used to double the capacitance (NOT the voltage) and NEVER had to
re-replace the parts after that.