Re: Star Trek sound problem

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 19:37:21 EDT

Lewis,

I had a problem like this once. From my repair notes, I found a similar
entry. Your solution might not be exactly the same, but maybe you can
follow my debugging logic.

Symptoms: Phaser, coin drop music, intro music, red alert all stick last
note

Check outputs of U43, 42, 41; look ok. Check processor; no signal on pin 2;
replace processor; no change. Pull up resistor at R10, R9, R8; pulling up R9
removes whine; reconnect and pullup pins R14, R13, R12; pulling up R13
removes whine. Shorting pins 1 and 2 of U4 removes whine after music is
over. Replace U4; no change. U13 is 3 of the inputs/outpus to U4, so I
replace U13; sounds are fixed.

Final fix: Replace U13 (DAC)