Re: 'Star Trek' line lengths?

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 01:46:59 EDT

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Lewis D'Aubin <ldaubin@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> I can't recall if Sega used anything similar, but it probably wouldn't
>> hurt to check the voltages on the output driver supplies. The op-amps
>> normally have +/- supplies that should be within a few percent of each other
>> (5% ish).
>>

> That's not gonna be fun to check... honestly, how is anybody supposed to
> troubleshoot a caged boardset like this?!
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas? There's gotta be some other G80 experts
> out there...

Actually, the way you troubleshoot a caged boardset like the G80 is with a
card extender. You plug it into the cage, and it extends the edge connector
to the front of the cage. You can then plug the card you're working on into
the extender and have full access to the front and back of the card.

There may be someone on the list who is willing to sell or lend you their
extender. IIRC Mark sold them all, but who knows. If he's around, he might
chime in.

There are other less favorable options, but they'll most likely cause more
harm than good, unless you're very careful.

Thanks,
-Mark
(Cinelabs)

P.S. Who on the list is going to be at CAX next weekend? I'll be there...