Re: 'Star Trek' line lengths?

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 02:40:12 EDT

Mark Shostak wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Lewis D'Aubin <ldaubin@bellsouth.net
> <mailto:ldaubin@bellsouth.net>> wrote:
>

> I can't recall if Sega used anything similar, but it probably
> wouldn't hurt to check the voltages on the output driver
> supplies. The op-amps normally have +/- supplies that should
> be within a few percent of each other (5% ish).
>

> That's not gonna be fun to check... honestly, how is anybody
> supposed to troubleshoot a caged boardset like this?!
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas? There's gotta be some other G80
> experts out there...
>

> Actually, the way you troubleshoot a caged boardset like the G80 is
> with a card extender. You plug it into the cage, and it extends the
> edge connector to the front of the cage. You can then plug the card
> you're working on into the extender and have full access to the front
> and back of the card.
>
> There may be someone on the list who is willing to sell or lend you
> their extender. IIRC Mark sold them all, but who knows. If he's
> around, he might chime in.
>
> There are other less favorable options, but they'll most likely cause
> more harm than good, unless you're very careful.
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark
> (Cinelabs)
>
> P.S. Who on the list is going to be at CAX next weekend? I'll be there...

I've made card extenders by picking up a Vero board extender and simply
cutting it to the correct width, then soldering on the appropriate card
edge socket.

eBay has some up right now - might be correct for this Sega application
- do a pin count...

http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-of-3-each-circuit-board-extender-cards_W0QQitemZ360168060526

It an always be made a bit narrower with a snip!

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com