Re: Cinematronics BPROM alternatives

From: Ed Henciak <ehenciak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Oct 24 2009 - 16:01:00 EDT

That's slick :-)!

Just a suggestion, and I think it's been discussed before, but you might
want to make a PCB that replaces
a bank of PROMs on Star Wars PCBs. You might be able to fit both SW and
ESB into that Xilinx PLD you
are using and just have a pin to switch between them. Also, although it
would be a low volume product, having
a replacement PCB for those PROMs in the I, Robot state machine would be
very nice!

Another idea to consider is one Clay threw out there years ago ... a
CPU-get-well kit. Something like a socket for a 6502 + PLD for address
decoding + PROM/RAM would be *really* nice. Almost any classic Atari
game could work with that.

My CCPU is written in VHDL. I basically interpreted Zonn's
documentation to create the logic. Think of it as a cycle by cycle
accurate emulator of the CCPU where I use a higher level language to
detail the CCPU's operations. An alternative for you is to simply
recreate the schematics in Xilinx/Altera tools. They provide primitives
for virtually all 74xx series logic. Assuming you use an FPGA (and a
smaller one will suffice), you can also embed all of the CCPU RAM
(256x12 if memory serves). Program ROM might still have to be an
external, parallel flash as I don't think there is enough blockRAM in
the cheapest Xilinx/Altera parts. In the case of Xilinx Spartan 3 or 6
FPGAs, each blockRAM is 2KB (well, 18Kb to be specific, but the extra
bits are intended for use as parity bits if you need them). The largest
CCPU game is 32KB if I am not mistaken. Also, some of the smaller,
cheaper Actel parts out there that I've used would fit the CCPU and the
Actel's design tools are not unlike the other's (in fact, Actel allows
you to use Synplify for free ... it's the best synthesis tool out there
in my humble opinion).

The best way to get good at this HDL crap is pick the language you are
more comfortable using. I suggest VHDL as it is SO much easier to pick
up Verilog once you understand the fundamentals of HDLs, but Verilog
looks less intimidating. From there, make small circuits that replace
groups of logic on an existing PCB :-) . You could probably use your
current PLD to create sections of the CCPU and simply wire that PLD in
to the respective points and test it. If you start with schematics,
virtually all of the tools will spit out a VHDL description of all of
you wired 74xx parts ... you can gain familiarity that way and work your
way forward. There are also sites like fpga4fun.com are an excellent
starting point. If I were a better person with time, I'd make a site
similar to that.

I hope to finish the CCPU someday, but some slave driver across the
country keeps feature creeping some display chip I am working on ;-) :-P
. That's my excuse for this year ... I have many other excuses for not
finishing it over the, what, 10 years I have tinkered with this.
Fortunately for Mr. Slave Driver, we should have more help on the
display chip as I posted all of the design files on servers in China and
Russia by accident :-P. What's sad is that about 2 years ago I sat down
for a day and cranked out most of the code for the CCPU, got it to
compile/synthesize, and even had some game code executing in simulation
... I need more days like that.

Ed