Re: WG6401 swap

From: PJ <pj1_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 15 2010 - 03:13:50 EDT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Robertson
  To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org
  Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:35 PM
  Subject: Re: VECTOR: WG6401 swap

  PJ wrote:
    ----- Original Message -----
      From: John Robertson
      To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org
      Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:34 AM

      Jeffrey Matthews wrote:
        Hi;
        I'm putting together an Aztarac project and since acquiring the WG19K6401 med res monitor seems to be an act of futility, I am now looking at the possibility of swapping a med res Amplifone set in it's place.
        Thanks to David Fish who had posted the input specs for the 6401, it seems that I might have a chance, although the display would be a little smaller than that of the 6401, it might just work.

        The reason for this post is to get opinions as to the validity of my theory.

        The 6401 specs are:
        "X" full deflection 8V P/P (+4V to -4V) 15 inches
        "Y" full deflection 6V P/P (+3V to -3V) 11.25 inches

        The Amplifone specs are:
        "X" full deflection 16V P/P (+8V to -8V) 15 inches
        "Y" full deflection 12V P/P (+6V to -6V) 11.25 inches

        As you can see, the voltage requirement for full deflection of the Amp is exactly twice that of the WG and the ratio of "X" voltage to "Y" voltage remains the same. Taking this into consideration, would it be possible then, to just substitute the Amp in it's place without fear of negative physical consequences to the PCB or monitor?

        I understand that the display area using the Amp set would be approximately half of what it would be using the 6401 but could it not be adjusted, although slightly, utilizing the "X" and "Y" size pots on the PCB?

        Taking it a step further, would it be possible to actually modify the PCB, by replacing components, to output twice the voltage levels or is that taking it too far?

        I'm still searching for the actual WG19K6401 manual as well as the monitor itself, if anyone has any leads, they would be greatly appreciated!

        Thanks
        Jeff M.

      Hi Jeff,

      I for see no problems with trying the setup as you have outlined. Can not see any risk to the board, nor the monitor - you are, if anything, under driving the monitor so the image would at best be smaller.

      Let us know the results!

      I was thinking that using my rasterhack and a 19" ega monitor (I have about six or so left) with some kludging (interfacing Vector for Raster deflection) of the deflection may work, but doubt the image would be true...if I only had time!

      John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com

    I originally thought of swapping tubes from a 19" VGA to an Amplifone, but there is an additional focus element on the gun assembly that has to have something on it.  Maybe time to look into a repro of the best of the original xy deflection boards and get someone in China to build some 90 degree yokes for what's available in 19" tubes (Cheng-Hua).
    With the cinelabs amplifone or WG flybacks available, it would be simple to repro the HV cage as most everything on the board was off the shelf.
I have EGA tubes (medium res), not VGA (high res) ones...drop by the shop and I'll lend you one to try out.
John :-#)#
I don't know how this jumped threads, but:
There appears to be more than the required gain on an Amplifone monitor, could you not just max out the size pots to make good with the lower output from the Aztarac?