RE: 5 - Three board sets of Star Wars Boards

From: Rob Graham <rgraham_at_mentoreng.com>
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 17:10:18 EDT

Here is a breakdown of the problems. I will consider taking offers on individual boards. Please offer a price and we will add actual shipping later. Coming from (T1Y 7H8) might be expensive to some areas. If there is no interest to purchase but you know how to fix these I would be grateful for information regarding that.

These were tested by a member local to me. Thanks AS

On all I swapped in a set of proms and a working AVG chip. So results below are with the new prom set and AVG chip. This does not mean they needed it, but I tried anyways.. most did the same thing even after swap as they did before. Most of the old tape on the boards says to try swapping out a prom, then its written it wasn't that prom.. Almost all of the boardsets had an issue with the background objects like stars and enemies although the words, attract, x-wing were rendered fine which is why I swapped in the proms and probably why previous owner tried as well although it seems he was always trying to swap the same one on all boards. I believe all that could get into test mode had matrix error B0000. One had a bad vram but did not make a dif when new was swapped in so probably a ls244 or 245 or whatever communicates to the ram. Only one out of the 4 semi-working had a garbled test mode screen... I believe it was the 5th one.

1) not working. Swapped in a good processor but nothing. Might be clock circuit as not watchdogging, but I don't have a scope to see.

2) works completely as far as I can tell but has loud white noise sound all the time. The refresh rate also seems very slow making the screen flicker...

but game speed seems fine.. very odd. This one probably a fairly easy fix.

3) Game seems to work completely but starfield and enemies are compressed into a single horizontal line in center of the screen. One of the sets I believe had a bad prom, and a bad avg for sure.. this might have been the one. I do not believe it functioned prior to the swap very well.. can't remember.... This one also probably a pretty easy fix.

4) green text comes up in attract mode. It seems to sit on that screen..

stars not moving. You can coin up with no sound. When you hit a trigger, you hear the coin up voices and it advances to the level choice screen. Usually it sits there and when you bring crosshairs over deathstar they turn yellow so it is registering position.. hitting fire does nothing for the most part, but I got it to go past that screen once.. no enemies or stars.. death star flickers on the right of screen.. cannot remember if it played the music or not..unplayable.

5) Text in attract comes up, but letters are flying all over like the stars are letters instead of stars.. very odd.. after the first green text nothing on screen but very large letters flying out from center.

Rob