Re: K6100 Focus

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 23:39:09 EDT

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM, John Robertson <pinball@telus.net> wrote:

> **
> Rodger Boots wrote:
>
> Seeing that it worked before you overhauled it (didn't it?) check that you
> put all electrolytic capacitors in correctly. A reversed one could cause
> this.
>

> Most of us here are way to polite to mention this (ducking- ouch!)...
>
> John ;-#)#

Before retirement from Rockwell Collins, with highly trained repair
operators, you would NOT believed how many reversed capacitors occured.
And they would work fine for a few minutes until they got hot enough to
leak enough to blow a fuse or trip out a power supply or just cause general
mayhem. Sometimes it would require the 95 degrees Celcius of a burn-in
chamber to kill them.

I never was accused of being polite or diplomatic but was damn good at
finding mistakes (you would be surprised at the simple problems most techs
miss---reversed parts, ICs put in incorrectly, cracked solder joints, etc.)

Yup, sometimes I made mistakes, too. Wasn't afraid of admitting my own
mistakes.

Still have nightmares of working there.

So my real point is that a "works for 15 minutes" problem just SCREAMS
reversed capacitor. Easy enough to check for. (And DON'T reused a
reversed capacitor).