Re: Flyback Troubleshooting help (Solved!)

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 10:48:48 EST

Jess Askey wrote:
> I am getting closer to a functional replacement for the stock
> Amplifone Raster Flyback.
>
> I present Frankenstein I
>
> http://gamearchive.askey.org/Video_Games/Manufacturers/Atari/monitors/amplifone/raster/images/frankenstein_1a.jpg
>
> So far I have pretty close voltages... except my 180V is down around
> 130V (WG designed voltage), so I may need to find a better replacement
> than the WG 53X05280-01 flyback from the K7900 chassis.
>
> John, my anode is currently sitting at 17.81KV, however, with this
> configuration I am missing two things..
>
> 1. High Voltage regulation - The amplifone deflection PCB has no
> means for regulation, I will have to modify the circuit to
> regulate based upon feedback from the secondary somewhere.
> Otherwise, Im sure I will have some varied blooming issues?
> 2. High Voltage Protection - I should be able to use the built-in
> HV protection, I will just have to rebias it since it uses the
> current off the focus and G2 ground on the original. The WG
> lumps the filament onto that ground too so it will be a bit
> different.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to search for flybacks based upon
> specifications? I found
>
> http://www.donberg.ie and
> http://www.hrshop.es/index.php?command=viewSection&id=4 but neither
> allow searching by spec and they have thousands of flybacks to choose
> from.

Dropping http://www.hrshop.es/index.php?command=viewSection&id=4 into
the Google search bar gives you a translated page option - the bottom of
the English version of the page has a contact link ("request new
equivalent HR") if you can't find the transformer you need by searching
for part numbers or model numbers of the TV/Computer Monitor that the
flyback came from.

Perhaps they at least deal in English if you send a note...I would
imagine this is a 'low significance' or 'unknown significance' request,
unfortunately, so it is hard to say how interested they will be in
responding.

John :-#)#