Re: Does anyone have any HP5006A info?

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 18:16:48 EST

Hi Jon,

  You have a HP Signature Analyzer.

  I don't have a 5006 but I have the 5004 and it's similar. First of all
you need to get a list of signatures from a known good unit like the one
you're testing. It must be an identical unit, at least the portion of it
that you're testing. Most manuafacturers never bothered to provide
signatures so you may have to gather your own from a good unit. Close
doesn't count with SAs. If the signature isn't *exactly* the same then
there is a failure at that node.

   Do you have the wires on your pod or does it just have sockets? The
wires have a small female socket on one end and a large male pin on the
other. You can use the small female socket directly on wire wrap pins,
header pins and the like or you can use "grabbers" with them. The wires
and grabbers from the HP 5001 MicroProcessor Exerciser and the HP 1600,
1601, 1607, 1610 & 1615 logic analyzers will fit. The grabbers are also
interchangeable with the ones from the Gould and some other brands of Logic
Analyzers. Most of them have a hole with a single male pin inside. The
wire pushes onto the pin and the grabbers are similar to the E-Z hooks. You
can usually find the wires and grabbers in electronics surplus stores, I
got piles of them from SkyCraft in Orlando.

  The three leads on the pod are for the Start, Stop and Clock Signals. You
can select the polarity of each of the three signals. The pod is used to
gather the Data signal. After the SA gets the start signal it clocks in the
logic level on the data line each time a clock pulse occurs. When the stop
pulse occurs it stops reading the data signals. Now it has a string of 1s
and 0s. All if does next is too convert that string of 1s and 0s into four
hexidecimal characters and displays them. It only needs 16 bits to "fill"
the display but remember that the start and stop singals control how many
bits it sees so it may get more or less than 16. If it gets more than 16
then it performs a "mod" operation (in reality it just discards the excess
bits). If it gets less than 16 it simply inserts leading zeros in the
display. It's interesting to note that the 5004 does not use the normal A
through F characters for values 10 through 15. Instead it uses
"A,C,F,H,P,U". HP says that doing this elimenates the confusion of
mistaking b for 6. But B can hardly be mistaken for 6 and now they're
using C intead of B for 11 and F instead of C for 13. I wonder what the
REAL reason was?

   I don't have a manual for the SA but the HP 5036 microprocessor training
course has a *good* section on it. Frankly it's the only explanation of
what a SA does and how it works that I've ever seen. Even the SA manual
doesn't tell you much.

  There ARE some SA links on Spies. I just down loaded a couple of the
articles a week or so ago.

   Joe Rigdon