Re: variac

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 22:38:42 EDT

I use a five amp unit at the shop, has a built in voltmeter. Quite useful for setting transformers to the voltage needed. You can use it with an isolation transformer in front, don't need a special isolation type if it is more expensive than the two separately. <br><br>
I am not sure what you mean by &quot;forcing a linear power supply to run&quot; unless you mean to put in a higher than regular line voltage to the linear supply for testing regulation. I have on my Atari orange bench test fixture a simple bridge rectifier and large filter capacitor to provide a variable DC power supply (unregulated).<br><br>
John :-#)#<br><br>
At 07:38 PM 10/09/01, you wrote:<br>
get one for working on monitors. I would be using it to force linear power<br>
supply to run or hopefully to dial in different AC supply voltages for<br>
vector monitors.<br><br>
Is is worth finding one with isolation or just run along with a regular<br>
isolation transformer?<br>
Would 5 amps cover most concievable applications for game work, they sure<br>
get expensive fast....</blockquote></html>