Re: New vector monitor design.

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 19:39:00 EDT

At 03:54 PM 5/23/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I'll go ahead and toss this out again since I think it was only Joel and I
>talking about it *long* ago.
>
>I have an old B/W 12" monitor that came out of a bootleg Asteroids
>Cocktail. The interesting thing about it is that there are *very* few
>parts on the board. What the designers did, was use a pair of those
>STK0080 (I think that's it, it might have been the STK0050) audio amps for
>the deflection drive. (Think about 2"x3" hybrid package thing, they're in
>NTE/ECG/etc if you want to look them up.)
>
>The STK0080 are these big SIP package integrated audio amps like you'd find
>in a Fisher or low-end Sony consumer Receiver/Amp. Built in heat sink,
>etc. Put a (small) input voltage in one side, get bigger voltage and lots
>of current on the other side. Really easy to use. It makes a lot of sense
>actually-- you've got high current, reasonably fast transient response,
>overcurrent protection, over temp protection, etc.
>
>They run off of a + and - 30V supply. I keep meaning to trace through the
>board and figure out the exact schematic, but I have all these other
>projects...
>
>Anyway, Joel and I were thinking that this type of drive system along with
>a stand-alone HV supply based on some super-common/cheap HVT would be
>pretty cool. Neither of us wanted to/knew how to do the yoke design
>though...

Didn't the Vectrex also use Audio Amp modules to drive the yoke?

The only requirement on the module (beside current/voltage ratings), would
be that's it's feedback input be available on a external pin so that you can
run it in a current feedback mode instead of the standard voltage feedback
mode used to drive loud speakers.

-Zonn