Re: Star Castle problems ...

From: Mit Matelske <Mit_Matelske_at_BayNetworks.COM>
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 10:02:41 EDT

>When the LED quits flickering and the monitor is displaying something,
>your machine at that point, maybe working fine.
>
>Have you played with the pots on the monitor? If they were max'ed you
>could have them set so that the X and Y sizes are stretched way beyond the
>edge of the screen.
>
>The other two pots control the length of the lines, they are used to set
>the end points so they don't cross.
>
>Make sure the cable going from the monitor to the CPU board is good, if you
>have a loose connection here, stranges things can happen to the display.
>
>If the picture is also blurring and/or dim and/or unstable in size, you
>might have a high voltage problem. Low high-voltage will cause the display
>to *bloom*.
>
>>What is my best way to attack this problem? I have no other
>>Cine games and I was using a switcher for my +5.
>
>I'd start by checking to see what's loose or shorting that's causing the
>CPU's reset LED to flicker -- do this without the monitor plugged in. Then
>I'd attack the monitor.
>
>Check to see that the game runs the demo fine without the control panel
>plugged in, if this is the case, look for short/bad connections in the
>control panel/wiring harness.
>
>Do the obvious things check and reseat the ROMs and ALUs and anything else
>socketed. It maybe the LED flicker has nothing to do with the control
>panel connector, it maybe a bad socket that's affected when that area of
>the board is pressed.
>

>-Zonn

Zonn-

Thanks for the advice!!! I did all the obvious things - reseat ROMS, ect...
and yes now the flickering stoped completely. But, I still only get one
circle in the middle of the screen. I had assumed that I could get the
screen size down to the correct size using the pots, but just as I was going
to test that last night, my buddies convinced me to go play some pool...

Even with the cp unplugged the game still only displays one circle.
Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Mit Matelske