WG 6100 XY problems...

From: Paul Tonizzo <tonizzo_at_sybase.com>
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 08:55:18 EDT

Greetings all,

Firstly, I'd like to thank the group for all the responses to Mike's post
about replacing the WG6100 tube - he was kind enough to post the
question for me yesterday (thanks Mike!) as I was kinda swamped
with other things. :')
I'm pretty sure I can find a replacement for it now.

Secondly, I'm hoping that someone in the group can give me some clues
about these two 6100 deflection board problems. I have definately
isolated it down to the 2 deflection boards in question as the source of
the problems.

Board#1:

Everything appears great when the game is powered up except...
Vectors along the edge of the screen are a little shaky. It does not get
better or worse as the game warms up. When you look at the whole picture,
it almost appears as though the whole picture is wavy - but mostly around
the edges. Think of projecting the vectors onto a flag that's waving in
the wind.
The shakyness is not too bad and could be lived with but I'd like to fix
it if possible.

Board#2:

Works 100% during game mode - never seen a problem with it at all except...
When I go into test mode for Space Duel and go to the second test screen.
The second test screen consists of a diamond hatch pattern filling the
screen.
On a known good deflection board, the pattern is stable. On the deflection
board in question, the picture starts off fine and then very quickly "zooms
in"
on the screen up to about 10 X magnification (weird, I know). So instead of
seeing an outlined box of diamond shapes, I see only about a 6" square
middle section of the screen blown up to fill the whole screen. (I hope
that
makes sense.).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again,