RE: Space Duel...

From: jeff hendrix <jhendrix_at_Quark.Com>
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 13:58:38 EDT

>Hi all,
>
>I got a pretty nice Space Duel last weekend (soon to be a Space
>Duel/Color Asteroids ;-). While playing I noticed something I didn't
>remember from the early 80's...
>
>When there's a (lot) of objects on the screen, if you shoot a medium or
>large object the machine makes a little "bip" noise and the object
>completely disappears. I guess there aren't an open slots in the object
>list so it can't fork off two smaller shapes. Anyone else notice that?

Yep, it doesn't have enough space to split the object, so it just 'bips'
away.
Asteroids did the same thing except without the noise, it was a kind of
strategy on the higher levels, fill the screen with small asteroids and
eliminate the larger ones with one shot.

>(Obligatory whining: I hate those little "plus sign" guys that you have
>to shoot like 10 times before they die. :-( I might have to
>disassemble the source and just remove that feature. Maybe use the
>extra objects for a deeper bullet queue or something. *grin*)
>
>-Clay

I also hate those + guys, they seem to always head right for you, so you
have to shot them or get out of the way.

-jeff