Re: LV2000 demands

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_fastlane.net>
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 00:39:24 EST

>That is an excellent improvement, unfortunately the LV2000 does not take
>the transistors out of the loop, that IS the main weakness. The only
>reason the parts on the board burn up is because of failures of the
>transistors, so in actuality all the LV2000 does is provide a means of
>shutdown when the transistor fails to protect itself. It does not solve
>the weak link, it just covers for it..

These transistors can be made pretty well invincible by simply adding large
TO-3 heat sinks on them. I have been running a Tempest with this and the
LV2000 on it for almost 4 years 24/7 and I am running it FULL SCREEN (no
reduced height/width). BGMicro sells them for a few cents each. 3 of them
need to be "clipped" because 1 is entirely under the deflection board and 2
others are partially under it. The alternative to clipping is putting the
transistors on the OTHER side of the chassis so that the heat sinks are away
from the PCBs (which is an OK idea since they get better air flow and are
greatly insulated from the heat-generating boards).