G-08 Question (was: Re: So I was talking to a co-worker today...)

From: Mit Matelske <Mit_Matelske_at_BayNetworks.COM>
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 10:47:05 EST

<snip>
> I'm putting a bit of a history section to Mark's G08 faq. I got the
>information from Don Mahler who worked at Sega/Gremlin between 1981-1983, and
>helped design the Vector timing and control boards in the G-80 boardsets. I
>should be done adding the history section in about a week, but I just wanted
>to see if anybody would actually be interested in it. I'm thinking Mark is
>making the faq to help in the repair of G08 flamethrowers...uh, I mean
>monitors, and maybe that is all that should be in the thing. I don't want to
>waste a bunch of space in the faq with ramblings about the design unless
those
>reading it have some interest. What is your opinion?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael Kelley

I personally, think that a great idea. It always interesting why a company
would
make such a bad decision and use a fire-bomb for a monitor in the first place.

Speaking of firebombs, I started working on some of my G-08's last night. One
actually kinda worked, it had no blue color, so I played Tac-Scan for about
15 minutes, that is until the deflection started randoming collapsing on
me. I've never seen a monitor go slowly, so I kept playing :0 It
continued with
these symptoms for a while (of course I'm playing the game of my life
here), but
now comes to my question... There started to be gas-like clouds around my
ships...and most other vectors on the screen. It almost seem like a high
voltage
problem, but I thought I would ask the experts. Any ideas?

Mit