Re: G-08 Question (was: Re: So I was talking to a co-worker today...)

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 11:20:21 EST

On Nov 20, 9:47am, Mit Matelske wrote:
> Subject: G-08 Question (was: Re: So I was talking to a co-worker today...)
> <snip>
> > I'm putting a bit of a history section to Mark's G08 faq. I got the
> >information from Don Mahler who worked at Sega/Gremlin between 1981-1983,
and
> >helped design the Vector timing and control boards in the G-80 boardsets. I
> >should be done adding the history section in about a week, but I just wanted
> >to see if anybody would actually be interested in it. I'm thinking Mark is
> >making the faq to help in the repair of G08 flamethrowers...uh, I mean
> >monitors, and maybe that is all that should be in the thing. I don't want to
> >waste a bunch of space in the faq with ramblings about the design unless
> those
> >reading it have some interest. What is your opinion?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Michael Kelley
> >

> I personally, think that a great idea. It always interesting why a company
> would
> make such a bad decision and use a fire-bomb for a monitor in the first
place.

> Speaking of firebombs, I started working on some of my G-08's last night.
 One
> actually kinda worked, it had no blue color, so I played Tac-Scan for about
> 15 minutes, that is until the deflection started randoming collapsing on
> me. I've never seen a monitor go slowly, so I kept playing :0 It
> continued with
> these symptoms for a while (of course I'm playing the game of my life
> here), but
> now comes to my question... There started to be gas-like clouds around my
> ships...and most other vectors on the screen. It almost seem like a high
> voltage
> problem, but I thought I would ask the experts. Any ideas?

No blue: Start by re-soldering header pins on the input board and deflection
board. The blue gain is the knob on the left side of the neck board.

The collapsing deflection/gas-like clouds sounds HV related. Resolder the 10
pin header on the HV unit. You also may want to check the pots on the HV unit,
and try fiddling with those.

That's about as scientific as I get :-)

BTW, thanks to all who are contributing to the G08 document. If possible, I'd
like to "collect" your editions by tuesday of next week (gotta set a deadline
sometime, might as well be before Thanksgiving) so I can merge them and see
where we are at so far.

And Mit, while your messing with these monitors, be sure to document anything
you learn (excluding tips for playing Tac/Scan ;-)).

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL