Re: Asteroids buzz in Deluxe CT??

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 13:15:48 EST

MKDUD@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anybody might have had this problem, and if anybody
> had help/advice on fixing it. I have a regular Asteroids board that I run in
> my Deluxe CT cabinet. All sounds are working, but I get a pretty strong buzz
> through the speaker as well. I'm using the Asteroids Deluxe audio reg. I get
> no buzz (ha ha) at all when playing Deluxe, and I've tried several Asteroids
> boards, and they all do this. I've also tried using the auido reg from a
> regualr Asteroids, and the buzz is still there. Any help would be appreciated!

This is the classic difference in audio gain between Ast and AD.

The audio level coming out of AD is 10x of that coming out of Ast. As a
result, when you turn up the volume you start amplifying the background
buzz.

In your case, my recommendation is to replace the feedback resistor on
the feedback stage of the Asteroids audio output to be equivalent to AD.

Check out the schematics for the audio output stage for the Ast and AD
main PCBs and the changes should be obvious.

Ray