RE: Reproduction Updates.

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 19:43:14 EST

> Back on the topic of a generic Vector Generator. After rethinking all
> the
> possibilities I've come to agree with the suggestion Paul K. had a
> zillion years
> ago, just do what Cinematronics did.

        [...]

> The most difficult part would be vector start and stop timing, this is
> some
> critical timing and would have to be controlled precisely by the
> driving CPU.
> This could make the drivers time consuming, and possibly not work
> under Windows.
> If something like an AVR where added to deal with the vector timing
> issues, this
> VG could be run from something as simple as an original 8088 PC!
> (Well, only if
> you wanted to write original games only, you'll need at least a 486 if
> you want
> to do emulation of existing games.)

Hmmmmm. You've got a valid argument there. My main gripe would be that
the timing requirements would be a major pain to have to include in the
driver-- I really like handing off a "display list" to something else
and not have to deal with it mingling in with game code. Well, even if
I don't try it, someone else can certainly take one of the boards and
hack an interface onto it...

-Clay