Re: Survey: vector artwork differences

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 12:29:37 EDT

> I have a different knob on a few of my tempests. I prefer it to the skirted knob.
> It has more mass and It grips a lot better. Its the size of a tron knob but it has
> a beveled top. I have no idea if it was a late replacement run, a test run or
> after market. But I have seen it on at least 2 tempest panels.
>
> If you like, I can provide a picture of the knob in question.

That sounds like the knob Atari used in the late 70's on games like super
Breakout and Tournament Table.. ITs about the same size and shape as a
Tron knob and the top has an aliminum disc with beveled edges.. The knob
used on games earlier than that (like Breakout) looked just like a tempest
knob but instead of the center being flat it had a raised and beveled
edge..

At any rate that knob will not be original.. keep in mind
these games were not in any of our hands until after they got years of
use.. anything could happen including knobs breaking and getting swapped
with different ones.. If your tempest has a different knob it is not
original, Atari didnt use a new knob until the Space duel kit for MH (its
the same knob from Blasteriods with the molded Atari logo).

If they would have switched to a new knob there would have been manual
revisions or a reprint and all games from that point on would have used
them. You cant change stuff like that during a production run without
doing so, it affects the gameplay too much.

Jeff