RE: Anyone have trouble with a MOD-EMUP?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 18:33:45 EDT

> I'm thinking of getting one of these but the place I was going to get it
> from (generaldevice.com) stopped carrying them. They said they've had too
> much trouble getting them working with fast bus computers. So, does
> anyone
> have one running on a modern computer (ex P2 400) successfully. I could
> always use a 486 I have but it would be nice to use my main machine with
> it.

I bought the EMUP after I sold off my older MUP. The EMUP is nicely made,
and clearly shares lineage with the MUP. The EMUP software is really the
same little stand-alone DOS programs that the MUP used, but at least they're
accessable from a menu system. Software updates can be had from the JDR
Microdevices FTP site-- they've supported everything I've needed without
having to wait/ask. (It turned out that lots of the 22V10's I had hoarded
for the Tempest Multigame were actually Lattice 22LV10's-- my current EMUP
software didn't support it, but I grabbed version 9 off the JDR site and
programmed them without problems.)

That having been said, I've only been using it on an old 486/66. It
interfaces through a pretty cheap ISA card, so compatibility problems on P2
class machines would *not* surprise me. It does peacefully coexist with the
EPP8 (8 EPROM gang programmer) which is nice...

> Any other suggestions for a good programmer? The EMUP is $499 which is
> kinda high, but it does everything I want - 27xx, 25xx, gals, pals,
> bipolar
> proms, tests RAM, ttl, etc.

I *really* like the EMUP. It's not as snazzy looking as our BP Microsystems
boxes at work, but it also doesn't cost $1500 or run $300 for every damn
adapter. I got mine as a refurb for $275. (Maybe from Generaldevices a
year or so ago?) Since then it's burned every PROM for the MultiPac, ESB,
and Sega Multigames; every PAL/GAL for the ESB, Sega, and Tempest
Multigames; and all the PLCC EPROMs for ESB/Tempest too. (in short, LOTS of
parts!)

No problems-- I'm quite happy with it.

-Clay