Re: Tempest Multigame Weirdness...

From: Joel Rosenzweig <Joel_Rosenzweig_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 09:15:55 EDT

>I finally got my Tempest multigame installed and everything works great
with
>the published switch settings... In fact I've been having a great time at
>Vector Breakout (I never cared that much for breakout...but now that it's a
>vector game... :)

That's exactly how I feel about Breakout. It definitely has that special
coolness factor being a vector game that I don't think it had in it's
original form. I showed my wife the game, and explained the significance of
the whole thing - that a little genious on the vector list coded this
Breakout game for a piece of hardware that's 18 years old, a platform that
was never really intended to support the playing of any other game, and now
maybe several dozen people in the world are playing with this vector version
right now. She was less impressed with that, but enjoyed playing a few
games of Breakout anyway. (Even if she kept calling it "Pong" - DOH! :-)

>I have noticed 2 weird things with Breakout though and was wondering if it
was
>just me. I will usually coin up about 20-30 games and then start playing.
At
>some point I noticed that the # of credits at the bottom of the screen was
>reading weird "0E"...and then some other weird ones (non-hex). It returned
>normal at 9 credits. When coining up the # of credits was displayed
properly
>though.

I can't help here, but as far as I'm concerned, after the machine has
whipped me 10-15 times in a row, I'm ready to play something else. I
haven't tried coining up 30 games! By that time, I'm ready to use the
force, or shoot some enemy tanks!

FWIW, I found the instructions for converging the display from a PacMan
manual to be quite helpful when I worked on converging one of my Amplifones.
If memory serves, the Amplifone manual contains a brief section on doing
this as well but it was much less descriptive of the procedure. If you
aren't successful finding anyone to help out, consider checking out the
procedures in those manuals.

Joel-