Re: Tempest CPO Art Differences

From: chumblespuzz <chumblespuzz_at_home.com>
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 15:08:50 EDT

> The real question is what format should *we* scan this stuff in to make it
painless to get some art reproduced. I'm sure Roy has more than enough
projects to work on now, but if we had our own projects and didn't know a
printer we felt comfortable with, what is necessary (other than cash) for
one of these projects? And Roy, if we were to do this legwork, would you be
willing to take it to your printer? I imagine its a good way for you to
start your own little collection of high quality, cheap cpo's :)

Well, it's not that simple. Scanning the art is just the first and easiest
step. You can't (or should I say, I wouldn't recommend) just printing from a
scan. What will come out will look like a picture of a CPO, not a CPO. I
actually redraw the entire art using a vector based program (Corel Draw).
This allows me to scale the art appropriately and take full advantage of my
printer's maximum resolution. This is a pain-staking process. I'm redrawing
the Tempest CPO now, and I'm currently working on all the little blobs in
the bottom section. I'm typically working at a zoom of 6000%-12000%, tracing
each blob carefully. When viewed at 100% they look perfect, but this process
is taking me days. I know about tracing programs, and use them when
appropriate, but I find to get the precision I demand of my own work I
simply have to draw it myself.

Many people have offered me art to reproduce, but unless they are willing to
send the original to me, I've been hesitant for several reasons:

1) Measurments - No matter how precise a scan is, I have found that every
first test-print has been mis-sized somehow. I like printing out a
test-print and holding it up to a light over the original. I can then make
any adjustments necessary.

2) Details - I've scanned art at very-high resolutions, but there is bound
to be some pixelation that will obscure some detail. Having the original
allows me to see what it is I'm trying to reproduce, not just guess based on
some dithered pixels.

3) Color matching - It is impossible to choose correct colors from a scan. I
match the colors of the original to a Pantone chart calibrated to the
printer I use. Without the original the colros would all be a guess.

So, my suggestion is, if you have to sell the art, scan it in and take
precise measurments of key graphic objects and measure their distance from
other key graphic objects. Also, go to an art shop and use their Pantone
chart to match the colors. It may then be possible to produce the repro art
later.

I'm happy to work with anybody on this, but keep in mind that this is my
hobby, not my job (although if I sell a couple more spinner kits I could
offer an IPO and become rich! :).

-roy-