Re: Vector programming

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 14:18:37 EDT

> You may have come across my announcement of the Tempest Code Project,
> which has the goal of commenting the assembler code to Tempest to such a
> degree that the Tempest hardware and software are easily understood. (And

  Are you so new to the list that you're not aware of Vector Breakout? It's
one of the games in Clays Multigame. He's got a lot of Tempest programming
knowhow, but probably not all there is. I suspect he'll respond too.

<ramble on>
  This always makes me wonder why people do such things. Why document the
Tempest code? Why write new games for obsolete hardware? I'm not saying
these activities are bad, but why do them?

I ask myself: Why reverse engineer the Cinematronics board? I think because
it was interesting. Why write an emulator for it? Because I wanted to play
Star Castle again. Why write a menu program for Marks multigame? For the
challenge and to help someone out.

So I kinda understand why *I* did some of those things. Does anyone else have
some other motivations for such goofy activities?

The real question is this:
Why those activities instead of creating a new game on current hardware?

I've got some answers to that, but I'd like to see what others have to say.
<ramble off>

Thanks,

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.