Re: Amplifone tube.

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 12:07:37 EDT

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Dan Todd wrote:

> I have a couple of Amplifone tubes and yokes. I know the tube model is the same
> as the WG61XX (19VLUP I think). The yoke looks the same but I didn't ohm it, so
> I was wondering if the yokes were the same myself. The Electrohome G08 uses the
> same tube also.

        The tube model is NOT the same as the one in the WG. The
Amplifone is a 19VLTP22 (or some Rauland part number that I always
forget.) I think you are right on the WG part number. The VLTP is a
medium res tube, while the VLUP is a low-res tube. It makes a difference.

        The yokes are NOT the same.

> As a side note, I didn't want to anti up the $200 for a new HV transformer so I
> popped a WG in my Star Wars and the picture looks pretty dang good, without a
> display corrector. The bowing is only noticeable to me when there is a square
> box on the screen in test mode.

        My guess is that you've never seen a working Amplifone in a
Star Wars before. While the picture with a WG is OK, the picture
with the Amplifone blows it away. It's not so much an issue of
bowing, as the med-res/low-res issue. The vectors in a WG Star Wars are
fuzzier, and some things (like the starfield movement) just don't look
quite right (due the the lower slew rate of the WG, compared to the
Amplifone.)

        Spend the $200 for the Wintron, and keep the resulting spare
working WG around for a rainy day.

Joe