Re: Amplifone HV probs/Thank you John Robertson

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 19:25:27 EST

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Noel Johnson wrote:

> Tonight though, my goal is to get the Penn Tran on line (a green
> board). It's missing a few transistors and caps which I am going to
> replace. Are the mods necessary or beneficial when using a Penn Tran or
> Wintron?

        What mods are you talking about? If you mean the 50 ohm
resistors....they have nothing to do with the HV transformer. The
problem is that Atari used 3-terminal regulators to regulate the
+/-24V on the HV board. Those are only good for about 1A of current
(some varieties more) but there are cases where the game needs more
(most notably the Death Star Explosion.) That's what the 50 ohm
resistors are for. As for the Penn-Tran, I think there is one resistor on
the board that you are supposed to change when you install a
Penn-Tran/Wintron transformer. You might want to check to see that that
was done (it's mentioned in Gregg Woodcock's FAQ.)

Joe

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760