Re: Amplifone HV probs/Penn Tran OnLine

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 21:01:51 EST

> What mods are you talking about? If you mean the 50 ohm
> resistors....they have nothing to do with the HV transformer. The
> problem is that Atari used 3-terminal regulators to regulate the
> +/-24V on the HV board. Those are only good for about 1A of current
> (some varieties more) but there are cases where the game needs more
> (most notably the Death Star Explosion.) That's what the 50 ohm
> resistors are for. As for the Penn-Tran, I think there is one resistor on
> the board that you are supposed to change when you install a
> Penn-Tran/Wintron transformer. You might want to check to see that that
> was done (it's mentioned in Gregg Woodcock's FAQ.)
>
> Joe

The mods I was referring to were the 50 ohm resistors. What I didn't
realize was that all green boards (except mine with the Penn Trans -
which had been raided for these parts in the past) already have these
mods in place. After reading MK's article, I restored the board to it's
original condition with these mods in place. I just finished testing it
and it works! Unfortunately after a couple of minutes the picture
begins to fade out of focus. Any ideas?

Thanks All,

Noel