cheap 5K linear pots found!

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_fastlane.net>
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 02:45:59 EST

As most of you probably know, the 5K potentiometers used in the SW/ESB yokes
(as well as many driving games' steering wheels and brake pedals and some
analog joysticks such as Space Lords) frequently wear out. For those of you
who are thinking, "no problem; pots are available everywhere for a buck or
so..." GUESS AGAIN!!! What you normally find out in the "real world" are
"audio taper" pots which have a logrithmical resistance scale because the
human ear hears "funny"; the amplitude/decibels to perceived volume
relationship is not linear.

Why does this matter? Well it is very, very, very hard to find reasonably
price linear pots since they aren't used for hardly anything. 99.99999% of
pots are used in audio applications. The bottom line is that an ATP costs
about $1 but a linear pot has always cost over $20 from any place I have
ever found. Well I just found an electronic store near me which has them
for $10!!! If you need any of them at this price just let me know and if
you know of a cheaper place to get them, let us all know that, too.