Identify This Trakball

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 14:57:23 EST

A while back I reported on my difficulties with an opto on a
trakball that I was using with my Quantum motherboard. I thought
this came from a Crystal Castles, but a gander at the CC manual
reveals that CC uses the standard Atari midi trakball.

But this thing has Atari-ish part numbers on the optos, which
makes me wonder where, precisely, the heck did this come from?

http://asylum.darkcore.net/~dougj/trakball/trakball1.jpg
http://asylum.darkcore.net/~dougj/trakball/trakball2.jpg
http://asylum.darkcore.net/~dougj/trakball/trakball3.jpg
http://asylum.darkcore.net/~dougj/trakball/trakball4.jpg

Regrettably, switching to the standard midi trakball isn't an
option; the control panel will only fit *this* trakball, and
the optos for this trakball are 8-pin DIPs that don't match
the pin layout of the ones on the standard midi sensor boards.

I suppose I could *glue* a standard midi sensor board onto
my stripped board and then twist metal until the optos were
aligned with the encoder wheel, which will probably be my
weekend project... but I'm still curious as to where the
heck this trackball originally came from.

Later,
Doug.

--
 dougj   |