Re: G-80 conversion wiring hell.

From: Mark A. Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 17:00:02 EST

> > From wiretap pinouts (which i submitted a long time ago):
> >
> > X-Y Timing Board
> > ----------------
> >
> > 1 - Y
> > 2 - Shield
> > 3 - Empty
> > 4 - X
> >
> > X-Y Control Board
> > -----------------
> >
> > 1 - Blue
> > 2 - Red
> > 3 - Empty
> > 4 - Green
>

> > However, now that I look at these, I think one of these is wrong...damn,
>
> I sure hope so, for if 'tis not, then truely do I have the most wretched
> bastard of a G-80 card cage, for I dist spake:
>
> > > On my cage, P30 has four wires -- Red, Black, Blue, Green. P31 has three
> > > wires -- Grey, Black, (blank -- hole plugged), and White.
>
> Merily, for there dost are four, yes, FOUR wires on one of my acursed
> connectors !

P30 should be treated as if there were 3 wires; ignore the black wire.
No Sega XY cabinets I've seen have 4 wires per connector; only 3 per
connector is needed. I believe the wiring for the control board pinouts
above should be reversed, but before I say anything else, I'd like to
consult with my lawyer first.

> (Yes -- I've finally lost it. I spent this morning untangling botched CAT-5
> wiring in the office. I'm going to ask my wife to teach me knitting.)
>
> If both P30 and P31 are supposed to have only 3 wires, then I've got some
> tracing to do tonight to see where these wires actually go.
>
> Do you recall either of the connectors have holes plugged up with plastic
> plugs ?

Oh, BTW, no, I've never seen any of these connector ever have plugs in
them (although in retrospect, that probably would have been a smart thing
for Sega to do). This is because some have the pins clipped from the
board, and some do not.

I'll double check my setup tonight, but if you can't wait that long, feel
free to cross all sorts of wires and fry your XY set (because then I can
sell you a set! MUUUAAAAHHH!)

Mark Jenison