Re: WG 19v2000 flyback sub?

From: Robert Bayes <RobertAB_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 04:33:53 EST

Thanks, John, for your quick response.

>Are you sure the transformer is open?

As best I can tell. HV circuits are not my strong suit. I measure approx.
10Mohms (depending on the humidity down here in Houston) with the HV diode
*out* of circuit. Should I see this *high* a reading?

A common failure on these is a bad HV
>diode...

I bought one of those just in case.

do you get the screen voltage (400V) and the 90V output from the HV
>unit?

I get *no* screen voltage (~0.0V), *no* focus voltage (~0.0V) and only about
10V (should be ~95V) for the spot killer circuitry. I am mindful of the
characteristic hi-z of the circuit but it shouldn't yield *that* much of an
error through my DVM! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The HO circuit _is_ oscillating though. The feedback must be coupling
through the transformer core.

If so, then the unit is almost running...likely a bad diode at that
>point...there has been discussion here about sources for those diodes...I
>use ones from old B&W TV's...

Lord knows, I hope you're right. However, so far, it seems to point to the
flyback.

What do you think, given this *new* information? Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Robert