Re: Vector: Asteroids intermittent explosions

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_augustmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 21:02:52 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Travis Shire <boardjunkie@techie.com>

> Sidebar note:
> Topside solder pads on these older Atari pcb's are getting really grumpy and pulling up with little or no reason to.
> Especially those without an attached trace. Weak plating on the component side maybe? I dunno, but I'm being
> EXTREMELY gentle with them (cutting the ic out and removing the pins one at a time) and still have one come loose once
> in a while. The coated side is much more durable. Just a heads up.

Use less heat and make sure to remove as much solder as possible before pulling the device.
I generally break the pins loose with a pair of long nose before pulling the actual package.

Generally speaking, there is no need to (accidently) pull the plating or pad off one of those holes,
unless you're in a rush (which is when it nabs me).

-Mark