Star Trek Sit-Down Finally Restored

From: Tim Tewalt <tim_at_srccomp.com>
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 15:51:56 EST

I haven't been very active on the list in quite some time, but I thought
I'd boast a little bit anyway in regard to the Star Trek sit-down that I
finally finished restoring.

The most time consuming task was cleaning. The mat had layers upon layers
of dried soda caked on. The cabinet pieces had numberous scuff marks that
had to be buffed out. I used 409 and a Scotchbrite pad to clean, then
polished out the swirlmarks with Novus.

The most difficult technical repair was tracing back broken wires within
the wire harness; the easiest was the power supply... I didn't bother
debugging the monitor and simply rebuilt it using new caps and some 2N6259's
in the deflection amp. I had a spare working boardset to help debug those.

The final result really took me by surprise! During restoration and debug,
it sat in pieces and stripped of T-Molding. Today at lunch, I bolted every-
thing back togther, installed the monitor panel, bolted on the canopy, took
a step back and WHOA!!!

Still need to figure out how to achieve better monitor alignment (blue gun
only), but I thought it came out quite nice just the same.

I didn't resize the pictures and they are about 350KB each:

 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek001.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek002.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek003.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek004.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek005.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek006.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek007.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek008.jpg
 http://www.tewalt.net/images/arcade_pics/startrek009.jpg

All that said, Star Trek just isn't my game, so it is for sale (located in
Colorado Springs) if you know of any interested buyers, they can email be
at: drzdad@msn.com

Tim