Re: G08_105 manual

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 17:47:19 EDT

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:37:07 -0500, "Joe Magiera" <joemagiera@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>I got the G08_105 manual scanned by my friend yesterday. I left him the
>message to scan it at the highest quality. I didn't consider that would be
>1200 DPI, and the 13 scanned pages came out to 230mg. A few of the text
>only pages he scanned at a lower resolution. He made two full sets, one in
>.PDF format and the other .jpg format (230mg each). I tried zipping the
>first (cover) page, but it made no different in either the .pdf or .jpg
>file.

600 DPI is fine, but .JPG pretty much sucks for manuals. To get the best
compression for manuals, save the images as TIFF's using CCITT FAX 4
compression. This means B&W only, no gray scales. I believe PDF can use the
same compression if told to.

>So, is anyone willing to receive 13 (or 26 if you want both formats) large
>e-mails to reduce the resolution on some pages (I suspect we want to keep
>the high resolution on the 2 schematics pages), and host it somewhere?

I'll do it if you like, I won't OCR, but I will convert them to TIFF's / PDF's.

I'll write you with a FTP site to download them if you like, but as I typed this
Martin's Email came in, and I'm more than happy to let him do it!

-Zonn