Re: Lunar Lander help

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel.rosenzweig_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 10:23:02 EDT

I had an AD561 and TL082 available, so I first replaced the x-axis AD561 and
the problem was still there. Then I replaced the x-axis TL082 and the
problem was still there. Because I had no 4016's available, I decided to
try an experiment to determine if the x-axis 4016 chip was at least faulty.
I removed both 4016's (socketed them) and swapped them around to see if the
problem would follow the chip. This time, video display looked normal.
However, given my tendency to like proof, I swapped the chips back to their
original spots and tested it again. The video was _still_ normal.

As I described in the original post, this problem comes and goes. It took a
while to witness the problem on a scope, because the first few times I did
this, the problem would go away, and stay that way even after the scope was
removed. Then weeks later, I'd start the game up again, and it was pot luck
whether or not the display would be normal or not. Given that the problem
was still there prior to swapping the 4016's with each other, I have to
believe the real problem is still there, and it will show up again soon.
I'll have to keep an eye on it, and I might as well order some new 4016's to
replace the originals anyway, though I know those aren't the problem.

I'm still wondering about the self test. Does anyone know if LL self test
is supposed to generate any video? And is freeze spray or the frost
conductive, or can we spray it till our hearts content without fear of
shorting out any components?

Regards,
Joel-