Re: TECH: Tempest PCB

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel.rosenzweig_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 20:19:46 EDT

Steve,

The single line that you see is due to lack of deflection in the opposing
axis. If the display shows a horizontal line only, then your vertical
deflection circuit on the Tempest board is faulty. Because Tempest is a
portrait mode oriented game, the axis are reversed, so you'd be looking at a
"X" deflection circuit failure. If the display shows a vertical line only,
then your horizontal deflection circuit on the Tempest board is faulty. And
in this case, you'd be looking at the "Y" deflection circuit. On a
landscape mode game, the "X" is horizontal and the "Y" is vertical. From
the monitor's perspective, "X" is always horizontal and "Y" is always
vertical, but this nomenclature is a little awkward when we rotate the
monitor!

The Tempest board has X,Y, and Z outputs. The "X" output is actually
connected to the "Y" input on the monitor, and the "Y" output is actually
connected to the "X" input on the monitor.

The analog output section for each axis is made of a digital to analog
converter and some op-amps. The likely scenario is that you have an op-amp
failure after the converter. Give thought to replacing the TL082 (op-amp)
first. If that doesn't work, replace the MC1495. And if that doesn't work,
replace the AM6012 DAC.

There are more elegant procedures for troubleshooting this if you have the
right test equipment, but without it, it would be faster to just replace
these components in the order given.

Regards,
Joel-