Re: Amplifone HV Unit replacement parts - where to buy?

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 11:41:39 EDT

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Scott Caldwell wrote:

> My Star Wars (amplifone) recently died and after doing the
> initial checks, the HV unit is to blame (no neck glow, but
> loads of deflection chatter - verified w/two working deflection
> PCBs). Based on the FAQ and my personal observations, I
> believe I should just shot-gun the HV unit with the following
> parts, since I don't know how many of these two replaced
> 4-5 years ago when the HV unit was revived). My question is,

To answer the simple part of your question, Mouser or Digikey, whoever gives
the better price on the order you are making.

However, if it was rebuilt a few years ago already I don't think
shotgunning is the way to go. This will generally lead to frustration.

One part not yet in the FAQ that does go is C8, see symptoms here:
http://www.vectorlist.org/Vectorlist/2003/04/0064.html

> * Note: The caps were replaced on the HV unit about 4-5 years
> ago and none appear to be bad now, so should I replace them
> anyway, just to be done with it (I'm on the fence about it)? I

I wouldn't.

> - Q1 (2N3904)
> - Q2 (MPSU07)
> - Q3 (BU406D)
> - Q4 (8239)
> - Q5 (2N3904),
> - VR1 (7824CV)
> - VR2 (7924CV)
> - 1N4001 (diodes, believe there are two at CR5 and CR6)

>From your list above: Check the 24v regs -- if they are HV they shouldn't
blow. If +24reg is blown, suspect C8 as mentioned above. While anything is
possible, I wouldn't bet that any of those things went bad. (As in I padded
out an order with spares of all those and haven't used them in years).

The BU406D is a fuse. :-) I had to source these separately (from the place
in the FAQ that is on Long Island, don't know if they still have any) -- and
buy at least a dozen, or whatever it takes to fill a min order. If ANYTHING
goes in the Ampliphone you'll blow this.

(Side note -- what would it take to add a fuse to the BU406D path, so the
damn thing doesn't keep blowing ?)

I've had two ampluphone's fail years after a rebuild, and both times it was
C8.

-Chris