Asteroids speedmod daughtercards

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 11:23:14 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2005 8:07:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
joemagiera@ameritech.net writes:

As to the other question you posed on the speed up mod, I have one board
with some sort of add on board. I asked the list about it a couple years ago,
if I recall, some people offered a guess, but no one could say for sure what
it was or what it did. We'd have to look it up in the vector list archives.

Alot of the speed mod daughtercards were available through distributors like
Betson, Atlas, Mondial, Wico, and also through Atari for a short time. I
have seen several old Play Meters with advertisments for Asteroids daughtercards
from around 1980.

On a side note (Especially Jess, if you're listening: Gene Steele (Playland)
supposidly made his own, and sold a bunch of them for about 6 months @ $149
each until he got a C&D notice from Atari because their "official" one was
being released. Unfortunatley, Gene is nowhere to be found since retiring...)

I was wondering if anybody might have any schems or installation
instructions for one of the kits? Does anybody have any info on these?? Or, does anybody
have one installed that looks like either one of these that is working:

_http://members.aol.com/mkdud/asteroidsspeeddc/speeddcft.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/mkdud/asteroidsspeeddc/speeddcft.jpg)

_http://members.aol.com/mkdud/asteroidsspeeddc/speeddcbk.jpg_
(http://members.aol.com/mkdud/asteroidsspeeddc/speeddcbk.jpg)

The one on the left is labled "Sonic", the one on the right is an official
Atari daughtercard, probably missing some of it's IC's.

I would love to get either one of these or both working on one of my working
 Asteroids boards; any help anyone can give would be appreciated!!

Thanks Very Much,
Michael Kelley