Re: Asteroids speedmod daughtercards

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_askey.org>
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 17:03:26 EST

MKDUD@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/23/2005 8:07:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> joemagiera@ameritech.net writes:
>
> As to the other question you posed on the speed up mod, I have one
> board with some sort of add on board. I asked the list about it a
> couple years ago, if I recall, some people offered a guess, but no
> one could say for sure what it was or what it did. We'd have to
> look it up in the vector list archives.
>
> Alot of the speed mod daughtercards were available through
> distributors like Betson, Atlas, Mondial, Wico, and also through Atari
> for a short time. I have seen several old Play Meters with
> advertisments for Asteroids daughtercards from around 1980.
>
> On a side note (Especially Jess, if you're listening: Gene Steele
> (Playland) supposidly made his own, and sold a bunch of them for about
> 6 months @ $149 each until he got a C&D notice from Atari because
> their "official" one was being released. Unfortunatley, Gene is
> nowhere to be found since retiring...)

That is pretty interesting actually, I never knew that Gene 'dabbled'. :-)

Speaking of Playland.... I managed to get the P-L-A-Y-L-A-N-D letters
from both sides of the building before they converted it to TFC. Bryan
has the calder alley set in New Hampshire and the Beaver Ave. set is now
out here in Wyoming. :-) I will send a pic someday after my 'Playland
Reincarnation' is complete out here.