Re: Red HV: It's Alive...

From: Mark Shostak <xx.vl_at_cinelabs.com>
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 17:35:14 EST

I'll throw my 2 cents in here, since Collin asked some specific questions.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:42:22PM +0100, Colin Davies wrote:

> held to ransom by the wintron guys. Did you try HR Diemen too ? (just
> curious)

HR Diemen is extremely difficult to work with, and too boot, they're not
really interested in low volume (i.e. less than thousands) orders, as they
can't make back their NRE (design and tooling costs).

> I'd like to see ampliphone transformers (I've not got an amp monitor - yet
> !!) and also 6100 and the G05 B+W types available.

I have working 6100 repro flyback prototypes that I've made, but there are
some rough edges that have kept me from releasing a design for production.
I'm currently in the process of working with a new vendor (that isn't based
in China), and hope to eliminate the issues I was facing previously.
Here are some shots:
http://216.87.139.44/misc/wg_chassis_rear_sm.jpeg
http://216.87.139.44/misc/wg_fbt_proto_no1_sm.jpeg
http://216.87.139.44/misc/wg_hv_top_sm.jpeg

I've looked into making the G05 FBT. It would be easy enough to do, as it
is a low voltage type transformer, and uses external rectification. However,
to my knowledge, they don't seem to fail frequently enough to warrant the
expense of a production run. I've never had one die personally, and I fix
a fair number of monitors. Anyone else?

The diodes, on the other hand, are another story...

I've also put some time into an Amplifone design. In fact, I had a mold made
for the housing as well as a custom pin base and bobbin (there's a picture
of it floating around the web somewhere). However, that FBT is a bit of an
odd bird, in that it doesn't use closed loop regulation, which is where
the WG substitution may run into problems. Simon never recorded the regulation
he was seeing, so no one can say at this point.

Ciao,
-Mark