Re: WG6100 no HV

From: Pinx <pinx.32_at_tesco.net>
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 04:38:44 EDT

Hi Mark,

after replacing lots of components in the HV section, it went from having no
HV all the time to, starting up from cold and working, from anywhere from 2
to 5 minutes, to which the image blooms for a second and then dissapears,
which is obviously due to the HV dropping off to zero. If i leave it for 20
mins or so, i can turn it back on and it will do it all over again. This
suggests to me that something is failing under load or heat, unless someone
knows otherwise.

I took those measurements you asked for when it lost its HV, so you have the
readings from when it is faulty.

I took the HV cage out of my Black Widow and fitted it to the Star Wars and
it plays perfectly as it should, so that rules out my game pcb, deflection
pcb, AR2 and power brick, not to mention all the chasis mounted transistors
(though these are all new anyway) So it has to be something on the HV pcb.
As i think i mention'd before when the fault is occuring my B+ voltage is
only 28 volts instead of 180 volts (at pin 5)

I'll go check the voltage across ZD901 today when the fault is occuring and
see what it reads. i have replaced alot of the resistors (ones i had in
stock) but there are quite a few i didnt have, these i lifted a leg out of
circuit and then meter'd and they all gave good readings, in the past i have
known resistors to go bad either OL or to have changed value, but could they
change value under load and then return to their origional value when
unloaded ?

I will make a concerted effort ot dig out the scope...

Thanx for the advice and confirming the spec of ZD903 and yes the schems for
P329 would be handy, do you have them on pdf ?

Pinx